Posts tagged: tarot
Ok so. I got a expense that came out of left field. I need to raise some money to pay off a few bills. So I am looking to do tarot readings via skype and or aim or gchat. No video nessarcy just text is fine full hour reading is 20$ half hour is 10$ please ask me for details
What the fuck kind of tarot reading takes an hour?
The question is, do the people coming to you for ridiculously expensive divination and instead receiving what you openly refer to as made up bullshit feel better now?
Disregarding the rest of the issues brought up in the comment exchange that follows this post esp. cold reading and other chicanery >:||| -
- - - - - - - - - -
If I do a 10-card reading, it is definitely going to take an hour at least (unless I get lucky/trolled/bashed over the head by obvious cards) to explain the results fully in a way that makes sense to the client. If it is a reading via email, taking proper pictures and typing it all up takes a couple of hours. Anything less and I feel I would be doing the client a disservice. Also, unless I know you or like you a whole helluva lot, the cost will be significantly more than $20.
I expect equal compensation for the amount of time and energy I give in interpreting and communicating the depth of meaning and connections present in a 10-card reading (for e.g.), not to mention the years I have spent practising and researching to make sure my readings are as comprehensive and useful as possible - and I’m a rank amateur compared to someone like Mary K. Greer who probably won’t even _shuffle_ a deck for less than $20!
It doesn’t bother me that tumblr divinators - not only tarot readers - generally charge <$
10 5 for their services, but the reality is that outside of the tumblrverse, the cost for these services runs a lot higher. Which is why it’s so important to do your reasearch before handing over the $$$. You don’t always get what you pay for.
The Blueberry Recall spread is meant to help you remember what you’ve forgotten. Much better than a remembrall. (The blueberry in the background image came from here!)
Card One is the thing you’re trying to remember.
Card Two is the time when you knew it — look here for clues to jog your memory about the how, why, when, who, and where of the thing you’ve forgotten. So you might see a card that reflects the place you learned the thing, for example, or the person who told you.
Card Three is when you’ll need to know the thing again. Again, look for clues here about the who, when, where, why and how, but in this case it will be about a time when that knowledge would be put to use. Does it seem like something you need to know for your job? Is it an event? Was there another person involved?
Card Four and Card Five are meant to be memory joggers, filling in extra details about what you’ve forgotten or providing imagery that might trigger some intuitive leap to what it was.
Note that this spread isn’t meant for things like past lives, although it might be adapted for such use, especially if you’re dealing with lessons or something like that.
It’s meant for more practical, mundane matters, like "What was that great idea I had last night?" or ”Where did I leave the keys?” (I can see that reading now…Pick up the Housewives Tarot and get The Empress — you left them in the kitchen. Strength — you had them while doing dishes. You’ll need them for the Four of Swords — oh RIGHT you scheduled your manicure today…and then your reminders might be the Ace and Page of Pentacles — you put your keys in the cabinet).
But the spread can be surprisingly…philosophical? Especially if you don’t have a particular thing you’re trying to remember, and you’re just checking in. For example, in one test reading, what I forgot was a…state of mind, really. A way of thinking that served me well and yet I left it behind for no good reason.
So try it out and see what you remember!
How the heck did I miss this???
So, here is a little picture I made of my standard tarot spread. I use this when I do readings for myself and others—though sometimes, I’ll just do a little quick three card spread for myself and people really close to me. For this spread, I use my full deck instead of just my Major Arcana deck. My six card spread here is for a more in-depth reading, which for me means the full deck is necessary.
I know this spread is kind of different from what most people do. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it around, but I could be wrong. It just came to me while I was sitting in class one day, and it just feels right to me. Please don’t message me or reply or reblog just to say “BLUH THIS ISN’T TRADITIONAL YOU’RE DUMB” because that’s just, like … rude. I mean if you have any questions or comments, by all means, feel free to discuss with me. Just don’t, like, don’t be a douche just to be a douche.
Here’s a breakdown of how my spread goes:
- The first card signifies where you are now—just your current general state of being. For instance, if you draw The Wheel, it might mean that you’re in a time of transition or change, like at the height of a roller coaster right before the first drop.
- The second card signifies how you got here. Let’s continue on with The Wheel being the first card you draw, just as an example. Maybe here you pull the Ten of Cups. It could mean that you got here from a lot of love and support from the people around you, specifically family (or at least “family”). You’re ready for this positive change because you know everyone’s got your back.
- The third card signifies how this affects you now—how the state of your being affects the rest of your life. Let’s say for card 3 you pull Strength. This card here might mean that you’re a little worried about the new changes signified by The Wheel, but don’t worry; you can do this. You’ll get through it, because you can.
- The fourth card shows a problem you might be facing. Let’s say you draw the Eight of Swords. This card might mean that you’re afraid to move into the future. You’re holding yourself back. This is weird because I’m kind of just randomly pulling cards from my deck and they’re working weirdly well, just to put that out there.
- The fifth card signifies how that problem came about. Say your draw the Five of Pentacles. Looks like your problem is due to a lot of insecurity, and I’m getting the feeling that maybe the problem is pursuing a relationship, or maybe a new job opportunity. Have more confidence in yourself! Remember that you pulled Strength just a few cards ago.
- The sixth card represents how you can fix the problem. My sixth card is slanted because I get really pissed off when I think of traditional circular tarot spreads. If we’re talking about someone’s problem going on, why would I want to complete that circle? Does that metaphorical resonance piss anyone else off? Anyway, here, I “break the circle,” so to say, which is why I slant this card. So, okay. Say here you pull the Queen of Wands. I’m usually not sold on the idea that the “face cards” of the suits represent actual people in the querent’s life, depending on the querent, the reading, and my feelings. So let’s say that here, this card might mean that breaking the problem means being a little more selfish, and focusing on your goal. If you stay motivated and proactive, you can get past that insecurity and pursue that relationship/job opportunity.
So there is my typical six card spread! If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask me. What spreads do you guys use? Any other homebrew spreads out there?
Manila envelopes cut in half, gold seal stickers, trusty Sharpies and gel pens et voila! (I guess cork board should get a mention too, seeing as its holding everything together. FINE CORK BOARD. YOU ARE ACKNOWLEDGED.)
I didn’t want to just have the cards be a simple daily draw (what’s the point of all that work??), so I assigned a “task” for 2014 to each card using a combination of numerological and Major Arcana keywords for the first 21 days, ie:
Dec. 9 = Vision  + Introspection [Hermit] = Search to embark on
Days 22 - 25 address the Inward and Outward Journey, the Gift and the Opening & Closing themes - the advent calendars I had as a kid always had double doors for Dec. 25, so that day gets two cards :)
Using the Mary El because srs questions deserve srs deck |:|| I will likely regret this decision very soon.
Thanks to hellboundwitch for posting this idea!
Check out Barbara Moore’s Tarot Advent Calendar she put together this December! The cards are all from the Tarot of Durer, and she shuffled them and put the first 25 into the calendar.
You can check out Barbara’s Facebook here, its a great resource for tarot readers and enthusiasts. You can also see what card she pulls each day.
I’m thinking of doing something similar…
*sigh* Now I wish all the more that I had a Christmas/Yule/Winter appropriate tarot deck.
I’m still scrambling to figure out a way to do this
Natalia Smirnova, Sofia (in progress)
Tarot Cards by Jodi Taylor
The absence of Chanel from this list hurts my heart. The Little Black Dress, the Chanel bag, the Chanel Suit, Chanel No. 5, even the social acceptance of the suntan on white people, all came from the House of Chanel.
I hope Chanel’s the Magician. I also hope that somewhere out there are tarot cards celebrating Valentino, Versace, Armani, Lacroix, Ungaro, Elie Saab, Lagerfeld, Gaultier, Galliano, Vivienne Westwood….
OMG I’ve had my own fashion tarot project on the backburner - so many tarot projects *sigh* - for yeeeeeears now. This is so good though! GAH and WANT *weeps*
A little while back I said I’d make a Morticia Addams spread. I have delivered… finally. I also call it the Spider spread, good for planning vengeance or teaching an ignorant person a valuable lesson.
This doesn’t encourage physical violence, but verbal sparring (usually to figure out when you should talk to someone about a problem you have with them, clarity for yourself to present your argument, and the prime opportunity/way to get your point across.)
I use it responsibly; what you do with it is your business and none of mine.
If I did a giveaway here’s what I know would happen with it:
- almost definitely would involve some divination tool/tarot deck
- following wouldn’t be required (I feel strongly about not wanting to have a high follower count just because people wanted to win free shit. Like I know a lot of other giveaways require a follow and that’s fine for people who want to do that! I just would prefer not to.)
- one reblog + one like = two entries
- ???? that’s it that’s all i know
The only thing I kind of quibble on is how people would actually enter. I’ve considered something something more active — like having people create spreads and everyone who makes one would be entered in. But I feel bad about that because EVEN THOUGH I FEEL LIKE EVERYONE CAN MAKE A SPREAD, whenever you have to DO/CREATE something for a giveaway I always feel intimidated.
But I also REALLY wanna see more spreads….<__<
As for when the giveaway would happen or what would be involved, I still don’t know. But I’m wanting to do it again (which is probably a good sign for me sticking around here. One of the early clues that I wanted to leave was when I stopped being excited about my planned Halloween giveaway)
DO THE THING!!
Spread creation as an entry is a very good idea. Even someone who’s only just beginning with tarot would be capable; they might even be _more_ capable, not being bogged down with how things “should” be.
I like the idea of a theme (as another commenter suggested). Maybe pop culture, as that’s something you’re sorta known for when it comes to spreads? :) Or a “pick one from this list of 3” etc. It would be great when the giveaway is done: you could compile a list of entries and then ta-da! another resource to be shared.
What if you had glow-in-the-dark cards. If you find some, let me know please?
SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE A GLOW IN THE DARK DECK i would totally do that oh man what a cool idea
There is a Glow in the Dark Tarot but it’s a major’s only deck that can be kind of expensive because it’s apparently out of print or something. (You have to expose them to light beforehand but that seems easy enough?)
There definitely need to be more glow in the dark decks though. I’m pretty sure they make glow in the dark playing cards (omg these look amazing) so I don’t know why there aren’t more tarot options.
My dear tarot darlings - glow in the dark nail polish is your friend! It’s especially easy to find around Halloween (and oh, would you look at that; it’s just about Weenie time again) at Spencer’s, Claire’s, even Hot Topic I’m sure.
So you get yourself a deck to alter, open the windows nice and wide* and get to painting. I like to go a little nuts on the Majors and then focus on the suit elements in the Minors i.e. only paint the cups in the 3 of Cups etc.
If you keep your eyes open you might even find…
glow in the dark (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ *:･ﾟ✧*:･ﾟ✧ GLITTER POLISH
*But PSeriouslyA: don’t forget to open the window. Huffing nail polish - especially the glowy stuff - for 4 hours is not good for your health.
I just want you to know that you’re honestly one of my favourite people in the whole world
Omigosh I’m all blushy and stuff =o.*=
You’ve seen what I do to unsuspecting decks though, right? The LS Universal wouldn’t play nice, so I taught it a lesson it would never forget…
Didn’t know you could get glow in the dark pens though, so I’m glad (? I think “glad” is the word I’m looking for) Keri mentioned those. Yesss, ehh-xcellent…